Environmentally Friendly Alternatives




We are all allowed to live on the planet rent free, the least we can do is take care of it.


As a zookeeper, conservationist, and tree hugging 'dirty hippie' that I have been so labeled I figured that it was time to give people alternatives that are eco-friendly, cost effective, and just all around feel good options that are easy to switch out! 

The biggest change that I have committed to making is being straw free in 2016. Don't get me wrong, I love straws. But you know what sucks more than running out of wine or coke? The number of straws that don't end up in the trash. And you know what sucks about trash when you throw it away? That away doesn't mean it disappears. It goes somewhere.

Not to be a Debby Downer but much of that trash gets ingested by wildlife or entangles them. 

Sea Turtle with a straw stuck in nose

If those don't rip your heart out take a look at this ... 



Guess what? 
Hope is not lost, because you have a choice, just like I did to stop using single use plastics all together. 
YES it does take some time to remember to do it, but so does making sure you exercise every day.
Making the choice to switch to sustainable products is a lifestyle choice just like eating healthy and exercising. 











To the left are plastic forks.
To the right is a reusable set of silverware that can be carried in your purse, pocket or backpack.


This small change in your life could make a world of difference. I have a set that I keep in my car and a set that I keep in my purse so that I have it at all times.

You can find a set here Travel Silverware and here Bamboo Flatware

So what about those straws?
I use stainless steel ones that I got for Christmas! Not only are they super cute but they never NEVER get holes in them. They come in bent, straight, extra long for those mega Starbucks ladies.


This is a picture of straws that were found on a beach by a good friend in just over a two hour period. 
Here is a link to stainless steal straws, they generally come in a 5 pack which is perfect for leaving them in different places so you always have one. 
As a general rule if you are going to choose to cut out straws from your life remember that you can and you should tell your waiter no straw please! 
It is just that simple and you are taking MASSIVE steps towards living an eco-friendly and sustainable lifestyle. 

ALSO. CLOTHES! If you are in the market for a new raincoat check out this Columbia which is made without PFC which is good news for you and the environment. PFCs have been proven to disrupt our endocrine system which is no good. 

Tomorrow I will touch on some more alternatives that are super easy to use and remember! 

Even if its just ten minutes, get outside and enjoy the day. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zoo Sunday Round Up

Baby Cooper

Signs of Spring